Any business owner will tell you its very challenging to figure out what you are going to charge for your services. Setting pricing can be one of the hardest parts of your business. Determining, what your time, talent, and the information you provide, are worth, can be challenging. You don’t want to price it too high and scare away your customers, or charge too low and attract the wrong customers. What is the sweet spot?
While it may seem like pricing is just about business and figuring out the economics of what your industry is charging, or what your clients can afford, its also about getting clear about what you think you are worth. At its core, it’s really about YOU and whether or not you think you deserve it!
So why do I say this?
Well I have lots of experience in this area and I have seen it over and over again when I worked as a web developer in my business for 12 years. I watched clients set pricing for their services often. Even after they saw what the industry was charging, and even with lots of experience under their belt, there was a compunction to set their prices much lower than their services was worth. It was most prevalent with new business owners. I did it too so I can totally relate.
But why do we do this? That is what I wanted to discover and address. Here’s what I now know.
How you feel about yourself and how you think about wealth and abundance, deep down, will have an impact on how you price your services. And if you are a woman, chances are you are probably undervaluing what your services are worth to your potential clients. So what are some things you can do to shift this mindset so you can start getting what you are worth?
Learning to Have An Abundant Mindset
Abundance is defined in the dictionary as “a great supply; more than sufficient quantity”.
I love this definition. It doesn’t mention anything about money.
Going back to my experiences with clients, they would tell me “I don’t have enough money. I’m not happy in my career or I don’t even have enough money to take a vacation because all I do is work. I need to make some changes. ” In most cases though they were thinking small, they were afraid to really stretch themselves because of fear. What I have seen in the most successful people is that the more they expanded their mindset to be open to what God and the universe has in store for them, the more abundant the opportunities became. An abundance mindset will open doors for you and those around you, everyone will begin to prosper. Let me give you an example. Having a successful and mindful business not only blesses you but if you are a parent, it will also bless your children. As your life improves, so do theirs. So you see, you will be able to bless so many if you are open to receive it.
So, here are six steps in developing an abundant mindset:
1. Think of your dreams and goals as your purpose and contribution to the world. Write them down and keep them in front of you all the time. You have a divine right to share it with the world. Plus don’t you want to? The world will be so much better for you sharing your talents and gifts with us! There is always
2. Remind yourself daily that there is more than enough for everyone. We come from a God of abundance, he continually provides for all that we need daily. Even when people try to tell us that we are running out of ideas, resources, etc. there is always more provision that the Creator hasn’t even exposed to mankind yet. What you get, is meant for you and you are not taking anyone else’s portion. The more you give, the more abundance it creates for everyone else.
3. Believe in striving for excellence in all that you do. When you are at your best, everyone around you will have to rise up to meet you. You elevate others by being a great example.
4. Celebrate your successes. Don’t hide your success because you don’t know who you will best and inspire. Especially in this age of social media when so many are voyeurs and may not post, but there are there. They are watching what you do and follow your work. They are inspired by you and you lift them up with your success. You elevate everyone when great things happen.
5. Have a willing and open heart to new opportunities. Instead of looking for all of the reasons why something shouldn’t happen, look at all of the reasons why it should. When you start to live in abundance, things will start coming into your life that you never expected. Its because of you and how you are operating in the world. Get ready for unexpected blessings!
In closing I want to say that there are opportunities everywhere and these blessings will flow into your life when you are open to receive it. By practicing these six steps I know there will be a shift in your finances, professional, and personal life as you continue to remain open to receive the abundance that God has for you into your life. You truly deserve to life with purpose, passion, and joy! When you begin practicing having an abundant mindset I know your life will become all that you dreamed!
Until next time,
Still need some help setting your pricing? Read this great article from the people at Inc Magazine with helpful pricing models and factors you should take into consideration.